A full time voluntary activist for ten years, before joining IAS. A free-lance journalist during the same period. Undertook extensive study tours of the country. The outcome was the book, â€˜Aswastha Dashakachi Diaryâ€™, based on the reflections on experiences of these visits.
Joined IAS in 1986
Important postings held in the IAS : Sub-divisional officer at Phaltan. Officer on special duty for the stateâ€™s Chief Secretary. Director, State Archives, Mumbai. Chief Executive Officer at Ratnagiri and Amaravati zilla parishads. Additional Collector, Pune. Director, Women and Child Welfare Department, Maharashtra. District Collector, Raigad (Alibag). Deputy Secretary to the Chief Minister, Maharashtra.
While in service, initiated some experiments in responsive administration.
A few of them are : Many original experiments in office and field level functioning of government machinery to reorient the operations and methodologies in bureaucracy. Long-pending land disputes resolved speedily through reconciliatory measures, adopting revenue-court system. Active participation in literacy, universalisation of education, women-farmers-consumer movements, land and water conservation, movements against corruption and superstitions. Implemented a special programme for neo-literates, so that they do not re-lapse into illiteracy. The programme was appreciated as a â€˜model schemeâ€™, by the National Literacy Mission. Actively supported variousÂ developmental schemes by acting as informal interface between the administration and voluntary agencies.
Resigned from the IAS on March 1, 1996.
- Organised mass movement for clean and efficient governance.
- Worked as Director General, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan under Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, Govt. of India in the year 2001.
Books published :
- â€œAswastha Dashakachi Diaryâ€ (original Marathi). First hand experience about participation in studying and solving the problems of national integretion.
- â€œDiary of a Decade of Agonyâ€ (English translation of the above â€˜Diaryâ€™ by Gauri Deshpande.)
- â€œNava Vijaypathâ€ (Marathi â€“ providing guidance for competitive exams, with orientation to proper value-system).
- â€œRatra Gahirichya Tisrya Prahariâ€ (Marathi audio book â€“ collection of poems.)
- â€œSwatantra Naagrikâ€ A book about how citizens can and should solve their problems on their own.
- â€œJinkanara Samaj Ghadavnyasathiâ€ A book to inculcate the winning spirit.
Audio and video sets of his speeches :
- “Aadhunik Bharatacha Itihasâ€ (History of freedom struggle)
- â€œAapan Tyanchyasaman Vhaveâ€ (Life & work of our national heros)
- â€œNavya Vaibhavachich Swapne Sajaviâ€ (Nation-building stories of some countries)
- â€œSuvarnayugachya Swapnasathiâ€ (Indian History after Independence)
- â€œAwaghe Vishvachi Maze Gharaâ€ (History of Maharashtra state after establishment)
- “Jai Bharat Jai Jagat" (8 most important issues before India and the World)