A full-time voluntary activist for ten years, before joining IAS. A free-lance journalist during the same period. Undertook extensive study tours of the country. The outcome was the book, “Aswastha Dashakachi Diary”, based on the reflections on experiences of these visits.
Joined IAS in 1986
Important postings held in the IAS: Sub-divisional officer at Phaltan. An officer on special duty for the state’s Chief Secretary. Director, State Archives, Mumbai. Chief Executive Officer at Ratnagiri and Amaravati Zilla Parishad. Additional Collector, Pune. Director, Women and Child Welfare Department, Maharashtra. District Collector, Raigad (Alibag). Deputy Secretary to the Chief Minister, Maharashtra.
While in service, initiated some experiments in responsive administration
A few of them are Many original experiments in office and field level functioning of government machinery to reorient the operations and methodologies in bureaucracy. Long-pending land disputes resolved speedily through reconciliatory measures, adopting the revenue-court system. Active participation in literacy, the universalization of education, women-farmers-consumer movements, land and water conservation, movements against corruption and superstitions. Implemented a special programme for neo-literates, so that they do not relapse into illiteracy. The programme was appreciated as a model scheme’’, by the National Literacy Mission. Actively supported various developmental schemes by acting as an informal interface between the administration and voluntary agencies.
Resigned from the IAS on March 1, 1996.
- Organised mass movement for clean and efficient governance.
- Worked as Director General, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan under Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs, Govt. of India in the year 2001.
Audio and video sets of his speeches :
- “Aadhunik Bharatacha Itihas (History of freedom struggle)
- Aapan Tyanchyasaman Vhave (Life & work of our national heros)
- Navya Vaibhavachich Swapne Sajavi (Nation-building stories of some countries)
- Suvarnayugachya Swapnasathi(Indian History after Independence)
- Awaghe Vishvachi Maze Ghara (History of Maharashtra state after establishment)
- “Jai Bharat Jai Jagat” (8 most important issues before India and the World)
Books published :
- ‘Aswastha Dashakachi Diary’ (original Marathi). First-hand experience of participation in studying and solving the problems of national integration.
- ‘Diary of a Decade of Agony’ (English translation of the above ‘˜Diary’’ by Gauri Deshpande.)
- ‘Nava Vijaypath’ (Marathi ‘“ providing guidance for competitive exams, with the orientation to proper value-system).
- ‘Ratra Gahirichya Tisrya Prahari’ (Marathi audiobook “collection of poems.)
- Swatantra Naagrik’ A book about how citizens can and should solve their problems on their own.
- ‘Jinkanara Samaj Ghadavnyasathi’ A book to inculcate the winning spirit.